Learn Danish (at least survival level)
Without Danish you can manage. Many Danes speak good English.
But many expats in Denmark struggle without Danish. Without speaking Danish it is not easy to make Danish friends, it is not easy to find a job in Denmark and you will not be able to really get access to the culture. No matter what is being said in the marketing material.
- Learn at least to read Danish, no matter how long you stay in Denmark. By reading Danish you can stay better informed and you can save money.
- All municipalities (kommuner) pay for all or most of your Danish language class fees for three years (provided you have a CPR number). If you have a contract for a job in Denmark you can also get subsidized Danish language courses. Even if you plan to live in Denmark just a short time, taking language classes greatly enriches your experience here. You learn about culture, customs, how things work in Denmark, and you meet interesting people from all over the world.
- Learning to read Danish is a worthy goal in itself, as it enables you to take advantage of great deals on internet sites and in ads and newspapers.
- If you want to learn on your own, there are many excellent self-paced courses at the library.
- Check out a free Danish grammar tutorial in English (but with Danish examples)
- See a list of free online Danish language courses
- Use the free online Danish translator from Google. The quality of the translation is really good.
The hints collected here and many more are covered in the "Worktrotter's Guide to Denmark".
Benefit of the collective knowledge. You don't need to re-invent the wheel and go through our mistakes as well.
Share with your friends
The Worktrotter books
For those working with Danes and those trying to find work in Denmark.
This book is also aimed at those Danes who want to become conciously aware of the Danish workplace culture.
Find out how to decode Danish work culture, avoid pitfalls and know how you can bring your messages across when working with Danes.
For current and future newcomers to Denmark.
A practical step-by-step guide about living and working in Denmark. Save time, nerves and money. Be smart and do things right - right from the start.
No shipping fees worldwide!